· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Dartplayer Dot Net :: View topic - Two questions about Unicorn products.
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Two questions about Unicorn products.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> Tools of the Trade
    View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you use, or like, Unicorn's Latinum line of darts?
    Yes, I use Latinum darts
    5%
     5%  [ 2 ]
    Yes, I like Latinum, but I don't use them
    11%
     11%  [ 4 ]
    I do not like Latinum
    30%
     30%  [ 11 ]
    I have never used Latinum, but have always wanted to try it
    27%
     27%  [ 10 ]
    I have never used Latinum, and would never try it
    25%
     25%  [ 9 ]
    Total Votes : 36

RodmanRodman
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Two questions about Unicorn products. Reply with quote

I have two questions. No big deal, just topics for conversation.

1. Does anyone use any of the accessories that come with Unicorn darts? Case, shafts (other than the Grippers or Slick Sticks), the flights, or the flight protectors?

2. (I made this one into a poll question.)
    Does anyone like Unicorn's Latinum series? From my ever-shrinking memory, I recall them touting this as the best grip they offer. I couldn't disagree more. I'm wondering if I'm alone here, because I also don't feel that the Unicorn golden coating gives any more or less grip than the natural tungsten and they've said that it does.

Anyway, I assure you that I'm not bashing Unicorn here, just curious.
    mjcdrum
    Dart Sergeant
    Dart Sergeant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a set of World Champion John Parts in 27g. That's been the only Unicorn set that I can afford. They've been relegated to my back up darts (I'm using target Wayne Mardle's at present). The Latinum series looks exciting when they came out on the market. I was taken aback when I heard how many people had such a bad experience with them.

I used the slik stik shafts that came with my JP's, but they tend to bend quite easily at the aluminum. I'll just stick to my nylon shafts with flight protectors.
    View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
    Robot
    ADO TOP 10
    ADO TOP 10

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a set of Latinum Kevin Painter's for a short while. They felt neat, but it doesn't really matter how they feel as long as they leave your hand cleanly.
    Some people like them, but just something different that is good for marketing.
    calebjkeen
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my four years of playing darts I have tried many Unicorn products. To whit, and in order of purchase:

Lowe World Champion Golden in 21 gram (gave away once they went gray)
    Unicorn Maxi Wallet (gave away to brother)
    Taylor Purist Phase 2 (gave away to brother)
    Twomlow Hero in 21 gram (gave away to teammate)
    Unicorn Sigma 970 in 21 and 23 gram (both sold)
    Unicorn Sigma 950 in 22 gram (sold)
    Lowe Hero in 22 gram (still have)
    Lowe World Champion Golden in 21 gram (again, four years later)

With some very brief exceptions I've been using Unicorn products the entire time I've been playing darts. I've almost always been satisfied with the level of quality (see the thread on the Sigma 950's I started last year for one of two exceptions, the other being the Gripper shafts which are total garbage).

I've never been interested in the Latinum as a) I've heard it peels off and b) the idea of slick darts has never appealed to me. I quite like the feel of the golden titanium finish, though, and I currently throw the Lowe World Champion Golden with the golden Phase 5 SlikStik shafts. I'm a fan of the new screw-in replacements, even though I've yet to have any of the originals break on me.

My next purchase will be another set of Lowe World Champions but with the new black finish and the new black Phase 5 shafts. Necessary? No. Fun? Sure thing.
    RodmanRodman
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Caleb, if there's one thing I'm totally on board with it's buying new darts without necessity! I do it constantly.

Robbie, I agree with the marketing aspect you brought up. I've had numerous posts explaining my views on the virtues of marketing darting products and gimmicks. Moveable points... well, don't get me started.

I, however, am a big proponent of the importance of the "feel" of a dart. Of course darts need to be released cleanly for true and consistent accuracy (You're a prime example of that. You should be on one of those slow-motion, YouTube videos with Taylor and Part), but feel is important (at least for me) for the mental aspect of throwing.

If I think about my finger placement or any other aspect of my throw during a shot, I'm poked. I have to concentrate fully on the task at hand. Same applies for the feel of the dart. If I'm thinking about it (especially in a negative way)... again, poked.

I may be the lone weirdo in thinking this way, but the "feel" of the latinum darts was the basis for my question in the first place.
    Tooleo
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've Got a set of older Latinum John Lowes in 21gm that I really like. When they were brand new the coating felt awesome to me, not exactly slippery, but silky and easy to release. Never had issues with the dart slipping, but then Lowes are an easy dart to hold and I wrap my fingers around them pretty much exactly the same way John Lowe does. For a guy that grips darts with just the fingertips, latinum may not be the right choice...

That said, I did have the issue of cracking, peeling latinum giving me slivers and essentially destroying the smooth feel that was the whole point of interest to begin with. Not a big deal for me 'cause I just removed the coating completely and throw them as natural tungsten darts now. I understand that the flaking issue has been resolved with later production runs.

r.e. the cases and accessories, I sometimes keep the flights for practice and the cases I save for when I swap darts by mail, as they are tough as nails. While I'm a big fan of Unicorn in general, I've never been impressed by the quality of their flights or shafts.Deflecta grips all the way for me....

Cheers,
    Tooleo
    Dart Staff Sergeant
    Dart Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted "Don't like" - with the following qualification: the set of Bob Anderson soft tip Latinums I had were great (I'm one of the few it seems who like the feel of Latinum), for the couple of weeks it took them to start peeling...

There should be some older threads around here that go deeper into the matter.
    Grey_Owl
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a set of Latinum 22g.

I dont notice a difference. All they are a golden colored. At first you think you notice a difference but really when you are at the Oche are you thinking about what a great grip you have ... I hope not as all you should have in your mind is nothing but desire for that target.

In Summary: New Car smell .. doesn't last but Unicorn darts are superb quality!

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle. ~Author Unknown
    KopRalph11
    Senior Moderator Team SEWA Original
    Senior Moderator Team SEWA Original

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grey Owl wrote:
    I have a set of Latinum 22g.

All they are a golden colored.

I know the golden ones are gold Laughing latinums are a dull silver
    BlackHorse
    OCD SMAG!
    OCD SMAG!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latinums were way too slippery for me. I am at the opposite end of the spectrum, only brand new Golden Purists give me a workable grip most of the time. It is a big problem for me.

When I get a combination of dart and my fingers' texture (it changes regularly) that grips, I can hit well enough to put a big grin on my face. Unfortunately, it ain't that often.

Latinums are metallic olive oil as far as I am concerned.

Chitown599
    2017 Site Sponsor and Senior Mod
    2017 Site Sponsor and Senior Mod

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use to use the John Lowe 27 gm Latinum darts. I shot well with them, and they felt good. The only thing was, they were a little shorter than I like my darts to be. Otherwise, I thought they were darts.
    2010/11 Fall S.A. State champions, Makin Treble
    Presently not playing
    Davin
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some Adrian Lewis 24 grams, GOLDEN. They grip like crazy! too much in fact sometimes..
    dsm1mtm
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Bob Anderson Latinums 18g steel darts. I love them and they were my primary set for a while. I love the slickness of the dart. It is true they peel quite easily, doesn't seem to effect the grip on mine too much. However, it does make them look ugly.
    Taechon
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn Latnum darts are slick as snot! I would never buy a set. I think that if you have sweaty palms and fingers they may work for you. I did not like them at all.

I do not currently use any of the Unicorn Products though I have several sets of darts.

Darts is a simple game. It is the human mind that is complex. When the mind becomes as simple as the game, you have harmony.

Enjoy the Journey!
    Charis
    Team SEWA Reporter - Europe
    Team SEWA Reporter - Europe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think when we had this Latinum trivia contest there was quite a lot of discussion and most felt the darts were rather slippery.

And I once asked after the different grips and got a reply from an expert ( I can´t remember who it was - only that it was a person who really should know) that the golden Unicorns have got the best grip and the grip that lasts the longest time.

I am not quite sure but were there not some problems with the latinum coming down soon as well?
    Radamus
    Dart Corporal
    Dart Corporal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy to the Team! My first post on here about an opinion I can offer.
    I love the feel of Golden Uni's - my throwing bud hates them, I throw Golden Purists and obviously the collection continues to grow. I've bought Unicorn products since the 80's - although I hadn't played for 20 years, I went right back to Unicorn.
    We're just a bunch of garage throwers trying to stay warm in the winter, but we go all out, I could run a small tourney in my basement and give everyone pro equipment to use- all Unicorn stuff. No one else likes the grip of the Goldens- which is fine, I don't even mention that they were NOT 10$ darts from Walmart- they wouldn't understand.

Cheers! Len

PS-I just got a set of the T-90's-23 and I gotta say, I'm liking them. They are plain obviously but I like a LOT of grip personally.
    Oh, and I've bought pretty much everything online from A-Z. guess I chose correctly!
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> Tools of the Trade All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: